[squeak-dev] Fwd: [Pharo-project] usability of Pharo and Squeak

Alexander Lazarević laza at blobworks.com
Wed Jun 1 07:15:19 UTC 2011

I think a common misconception is, that (at least) Squeak is just another
Smalltalk IDE. As I see it, the goal was (still is?) to be much more than
that. With a generic (and easy to use) GUI, without different contexts for
eg. writing code or a letter. I think one manifestation of this idea is,
that we are able to write down and evaluate some code in (almost) any place
where text input is possible. Try to do that in any other mainstream IDE. We
don't need to switch to a specific Smalltalk Code View and enter code in
some special code evaluation pane where the output goes to a special console
window etcetera.

So I would say Squeak's goal wasn't (isn't?) to just make the life of code
monkeys easier.

Alex