[squeak-dev] smalltalk evolution

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 07:45:06 UTC 2011

On 31 May 2011 22:43, info at tomsik.cz <info at tomsik.cz> wrote:
> Example from my previous reply to Randal for illustration:
>
> Point new: [x: 3, y: 4, printOn: aStream].
>
> Always left-to-right syntax, always one argument, possible multiple
> receivers and messages, syntax sugar for closures, closure always have only
> one argument which is also implicit receiver - you can't deny it's at least
> interesting to think about such kind of uniformity.

Absolutely. It's called the lambda calculus. And it's very interesting
to work things out using lambda calculus, and figure out the semantics
of statements... but would you really want to program in the lambda
calculus?

Even the textbooks allow multiple parameter functions, with the
understanding that \xyz <whatever> is really \x \y \z <curried
whatever.

frank