[squeak-dev] Fwd: [Pharo-project] usability of Pharo and Squeak

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 13:58:11 UTC 2011

On 1 June 2011 01:22, Ramon Leon <ramon.leon at allresnet.com> wrote:
>> +1
>> at this point i am usually closing everything without even considering
>> what window does what,
>> and start over again :)
>
> Ditto.
>
>> i dunno. many tabs are not anything better than many windows.
>> you will still lose time clicking on them till you will find one you
>> wanted.
>
> Sure they are, tabs allow you to cycle through windows meaningfully, browser
>> workspace > transcript > process explorer, without getting stuck flipping
> through 15+ browsers.  Once you've found the program you want, generally
> speaking, there's a way to cycle through it's tabs quickly to find what you
> want. Tabs give you context sensitive cycling through open things.  Alt +
> tab through windows, find program, ctrl + tab through open things in that
> program.  Vastly more productive than just having everything open a bunch of
> windows.
>
> More importantly, that's how the rest of the world already works,
> Linux/Windows/Mac all support this; Smalltalk, no no... so busy worried
> about inventing the future it doesn't notice it got left behind.

Ramon, i appreciate your worries that squeak/smalltalk left behind.
But to change that, we need to do something. Experiment,
invent better UI for us. Saying that X is better than Y because rest
of the world does Y is not very strong argument.
It may be better, but to test that, we need someone to do it and then
we can evaluate it. Only then you could state what is better.
Because smalltalk IDE is different comparing to other ides. And
workflow is different. And this is the reason why smalltalkers are
much more productive
comparing to other IDEs, even with those crappy windows clutter.
In Pharo, you already have tabs -  a task list at the bottom.
The problem is, that to my experience, it is not really helpful when
you have 15+ windows open.
That's why i'm not convinced that tabs will increase the productivity.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.