[squeak-dev] Community-Supported

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 08:11:41 UTC 2011

On 6/3/11, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That doesn't solve this problem. The loader script on SqueakMap uses an
>> unspecified version of ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser. This shouldn't really
>> be
>> a problem, but the version where I fixed the Squeak (and some Pharo) part
>> of
>> it was simply ignored by others (Pharo devs). So loading the newest
>> version
>> of ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser via Installer won't work for Squeak. Other

> I sent private e-mails months ago to several folks who are not
> departed regarding projects which are in Extending the System
> workspace about pasting them into the SM Catalog scripts.

Chris

Thank's for bringing up this topic again as a new thread.

As a help to make this discussion easier,
let me bring a specific example, the code snippet in "Extending the
System" for loading Seaside loads a particular version of OmniBrowser.
Currently it has a problem which it didn't have some time ago.

"Seaside 3.0 http://www.seaside.st"
(Installer ss project: 'MetacelloRepository') install:
'ConfigurationOfSeaside30'.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) load.
(Smalltalk at: #WAPharoServerAdaptorBrowser) open.

But the load script on SqueakMap shows the same problem. This is no
wonder as the script there is exactly the same as in the "Extending
the system" workspace (SqueakMap entry for Seaside/Squeak4.2)

http://map.squeak.org/package/b135c62f-80b5-4a2f-80d4-7be8389ed54e/autoversion/27

"Seaside 3.0 http://www.seaside.st"
(Installer ss project: 'MetacelloRepository') install:
'ConfigurationOfSeaside30'.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) load.
(Smalltalk at: #WAPharoServerAdaptorBrowser) open.

More on this in the thread
Testing Seaside in Squeak4.3alpha
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2011-June/160293.html
(Dale H.'s post about extending Metacello)

So it is not so much a question whether load scripts of
"Community-Supported" applications reside on SqueakMap or in the
"Extending the system" workspace but rather maintaining them in a
workable state.

I perceive the "Extending the system" as showcase for "prominent",
"primary" applications.
There are only a few code snippets they of course should as well be on
SqueakMap. But please with properly tagged entries.

So "Extending the system" servers as a constant reminder to check if
the main "community supported" applications still work.

I assume most of the 773 packages on SqueakMap do not load properly
anymore. Which is not a big problem as people will make them work
again if they really need it. As we are now doing with Seaside
3.0..... :-)

I remember that we discussed about a list of "Community supported" packages in

Keep on the good work with getting SqueakMap into focus again. But
please note that this is not done by getting rid of the "Extending the
system" workspace but rather by maintaing the load scripts there (with
a copy of them SqueakMap). We do not have a proper mechanism yet
(technically or workflow ) to keep the SqueakMap entries current. Of
course suggestions and helps on this are welcome.

--Hannes

Note 1:
BTW We had a discussion on this a year ago for example under the
subject 'About configurations'

And there I found remarkable note by Andreas Raab; rhe reason for the
existence of the "Extending the system" workspace

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-July/151875.html

>The main reason why I don't think of it as SM is that SM
>wants to be "all packages ever created for Squeak" but what we need is
>"all packages that we've actually tested to work in this image"

It contains the "Community supported" packages, i.e. the ones which
should work with the current image at hand. And in case they don't we
have to make the work. If the load script for these packages are in
addition on SqueakMap, then fine.

Note: 2
BTW The main entry for Seaside on SqueakMap does not show that Seaside
is as well in the Squeak4.2 category.

http://map.squeak.org/package/b135c62f-80b5-4a2f-80d4-7be8389ed54e

Maybe this is the reason that the Seaside entry only shows up in
parenthesis in the SqueakMap loader?