[squeak-dev] Re: Too many update configs in trunk?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Jun 10 06:54:25 UTC 2011

On 6/10/2011 0:39, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> What should work, IMHO, is when uploading a new config, only update those package versions that need changing. That is, take latest config, change version for the package you need updated, publish. There currently is no UI for this, it only allows "update from image" and "update from repository" which updates all packages. But if individual packages could be updated that should work faster.

I have a few doubts about how well this would work. Here is why: Let's
assume the last config had Kernel-Foo.1.mcz in it. You update happily
and when you're done (w/o any update.mcm) you're at Kernel-Bar.99.mcz.
Now you find that you have an ordering problem which makes it so that
Sockets-MeToo.123 needs to be loaded before updating Sockets further.
According to your logic, this would now mean that the MCM combines
Kernel-Foo.1.mcz with Sockets-MeToo.123 even though you've most likely
developed Sockets-MeToo.123 on top of Kernel-Bar.99. And if loading
those two together will work you'll only find out if someone actually
updates from first principles; if people keep their images updated
regularly they could be quite a ways past Kernel-Foo.1 already and may
not even notice the problem. I'll also point out that we've had this
particular problem a few of times already and it was a major pain to go
back and fix the configs so that updating from first principles works
again. I really wouldn't want to make this worse.

That said, let me ask a different question: Why is it a problem to have
200 MCMs? If you're updating from 4.0 to 4.3 you are updating through
two and a half versions of Squeak, work that took two years total by the
entire community. That doesn't strike me as too much. The only thing I'd
like to have is to be able to update such images to particular
checkpoints (i.e., load the updates from 4.0 -> 4.1, 4.1 -> 4.2, etc).

Cheers,
   - Andreas