[squeak-dev] [ANN] Squeak4.3alpha-11476.zip on his place

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2005 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 11:44:41 UTC 2011

On 6/14/11 7:26 AM, "H. Hirzel" <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Edgar
>
> Sorry, I forgot to point out that for me for the time being it is very
> fine. In particular as you offered to do another alpha release on the
> first weekend of July.
>
> So no action needed as far as I'm concerned, I am not going to look
> into the method history in the upcoming time.
>
> What I want to do is loading tests with Squeak4.3alpha-11476.zip.
>
> Regards
> --Hannes
>
> On 6/14/11, H. Hirzel <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thank you Edgar for doing an alpha release again (on MSWindows, i.e.
>> without the Mac files).
>>
>> ===Regarding the history of the methods. ===
>>

>> For an alpha version it is important to have them because this makes
>> code inspection possible (= a testing method).
>>
>> Somebody might have changed something but the actual outcome is not
>> better than before. Or the previous version method might still contain
>> something important.
>>
>> Earlier versions of methods allow to trace what has happened in case
>> of necessity.
>>
>> Another issue of course is that the test coverage is low. We might
>> consider adding more tests by taking them from Pharo.
>>
>> --Hannes

>>> We can discuss this for the final 4.3 release (although I agree with
>>> Levente), but definitely not for an alpha release, please.  Since
>>> we're still in development, method history is much more important than
>>> a few K of memory/disk space.
>>>
>>> Thanks..

I think all learn some doing this.

I agree in alpha and beta we should keep history of methods.
If condenseChanges or some other is broken, should be fixed.

Sunit need improve, we need a filout of the test , also recording which VM
and OS the test run on.

Developers could focus on the red and yellow test.

And yes, we should "steal" from Pharo and Cuis all good code they have :=)

Edgar

P.S. If someone knows how to avoid nasty .-foo files in Mac, I like to know