[squeak-dev] Morphic on HTML+CSS

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Tue Jun 14 12:42:53 UTC 2011

S, info at tomsik.cz piše:
> I am no squeak/pharo/cuis master,
>
> but in my opinion the best approach is still "objects as servers"
>  - no matter what html6 will be able to do, it won't be enough.
>
> however html5+js means we can leverage ajax - and provide illusion
> of objects as servers - and that's cool.
>
> so:
>
> 1. yes
> 2. not sure, I'd rather spend energy on something different.

Remember that we the web guys are spending energy close to that goal for
quite a while already. The Iliad/Aida (bit less Seaside) component model
is close to what Morphic is, as far I know Morphic. And with Jtalk we
can cover JavaScript from Smalltalk code too.

Add the open-source and portable WebKit [1] based foundation like many
web browsers have and we are there! So, if we point ourselves to this
direction, for sure someone will come with a courage to experiment in
approximately this way:

- WebKit based foundation
- Iliad/Aida component model adopted to Morphic on top
- Jtalk for running JavaScript from Smalltalk
- Squeak/Pharo image with more or less unchanged tools

So, we switch one level higher in running Squeak/Pharo GUI: from bare
operating system's graphic/windowing support to WebKit based
HTML5/CSS/JavaScript one. With HTML5 Canvas and WebGL for HW optimized
graphics,...

Janko

[1] http://www.webkit.org/

--