[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Exceptions-cmm.34.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 22:35:19 UTC 2011

>> That means it's now essentially impossible to unload ToolBuilder. One nice
>> thing about progress display being implemented in String+Exception was that
>> it was completely decoupled from any UI framework.
>
> Surely if the String entry-point is moved into ToolBuilder then things are
> OK, right?  Anything that wants to display progress is going to have a
> dependency on the UI and hence ToolBuilder.
>
> That's not the case traditionally. There are many senders
> of displayProgressAt:from:to:during: in low-level methods of the system,
> which often happens to be a natural place to put it. Which is okay as long
> as they work even without a UI being present.

Hmm..  I think Bert has a good point.  ToolBuilder is about this
particular _windowing framework_ we use for browsers - not "UI" in
general (which was the basis for moving it there).  And yet, there are
lots of things that may want to indicate Progress that do not use
ToolBuilder.  Just see senders of
String>>#displayProgressAt:from:to:during: - we have, for example,
PositionableStream>>#fileInAnnouncing:, among others.

Sigh.  Someone else please chime in.  This is probably still pretty
easy to move back to Exceptions or Collections.

 - Chris