[squeak-dev] Re: Morphic on HTML+CSS

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Fri Jun 17 12:34:09 UTC 2011

S, Igor Stasenko piše:

>>> Dan Ingalls has done it already: http://lively-kernel.org/
>>
>> Lively is a project to watch and study, but Lively is JavaScript only,
>> not using HTML and CSS, as far as I know.
>>
>> Separation of design with CSS is namely something which really raised
>> the creativity fo designers on the web. This can help building better
>> and nicely looking Smalltalk apps too!
>>

> indeed. this separation is good.
> And it would be even better if you separate HTML from the web :)

You actually can. There is no need for HTML to render webpages, as
Lively show nicely. Pages can be composed just from JavaScript by DOM
manipulation API. Same with CSS. And even a combination is possible: JS
built page, but with classical external CSS.

External CSS is ideal for web designers and Lively can be actually
improved visualy that way. Whic would also make it more popular, we
shouldn't forget aesthetics even for academic work to be successful
these days  :)

Best regards
Janko

--