Closure VM on XO (was Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak/Pharo/Cuis on Android)

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Fri Mar 4 01:30:44 UTC 2011

Juan Vuletich wrote:
> Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> I may be misunderstanding you; if not, you may experience a minor
>>> facepalm. XO is Fedora-based, so you should be able to grab the
>>> Linux VM sources and roll it up.
>>
>> The latest i386 Linux binary should just work:
>>
>>     http://squeakvm.org/unix/
>>
>> and maybe even Eliot's Cog binary. It's just another Linux machine ...
>>
>> - Bert -
>
> It seems at least some Linux knowledge is needed... mine is almost nil
> :(. I did as follows:
> - Downloaded      Squeak-4.4.7.2357-linux_i386.tar.gz     and
> Squeak-4.4.7.2357-linux_i386.sh from the link you gave.
> - Decompressed the .tar.gz file
> - Saved the .sh, the .tar.gz, and the uncompressed folder to a /Cuis/
> folder in an sd card.
> - Added cuis image, changes and sources to that folder
> - Inserted the sd card on the XO
> - Opened the Terminal activity
> - su
> - cd /media/*/Cuis
>
> First try: Now, trying to run the installer (.sh) gives 'command not
> found'. Executing Squeak-4*.sh results in the full name printed (i.e.
> found) followed by: ': command not found'.
>
> Ok. Let's try something different
> - cd Squeak-* matches the folder name and changes current folder
> - cd bin
> - ls shows squeak and squeak.sh
> - Now running 'squeak ../../imagename.image' gives 'This interpreter
> (vers 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504)'
>
> Looks like trying to run the original VM bundled with the machine. cp
> squeak sqq to have it with some other name. doing 'sqq enter' gives
> 'sqq: command not found'. cp squeak.sh sqqq.sh to have this .sh with
> some other name. doing 'sqqq.sh enter' gives 'sqqq.sh: command not
> found'.
>
> Looks like the machine doesn't want to run any binary from the sd
> card. I guess there is some linux detail I'm unaware of... Please help
> me!
>
> Thanks,
> Juan Vuletich

I guess I succeeded installing it. Now trying to run like this
sh squeak.sh ../../imagename.image (in .../bin/) gives 'libGLU.so.1:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory / could not
find display driver vm-display-x11; wither: / -check that
/udr/local/lib/squeak/4.4.7-2357/vm-display-x11.so exists or / ...'
There's no vm-display-x11.so in the folder from the installation, but
there is a so.vm-display... so copying this to have the '.so' at the
end... Get the same error. I'm almost giving up.

Thanks for any help.

Juan Vuletich