Closure VM on XO (was Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak/Pharo/Cuis on Android)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Mar 4 02:10:16 UTC 2011

On 03.03.2011, at 17:30, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> I guess I succeeded installing it. Now trying to run like this
> sh squeak.sh ../../imagename.image (in .../bin/) gives 'libGLU.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory / could not find display driver vm-display-x11; wither: / -check that /udr/local/lib/squeak/4.4.7-2357/vm-display-x11.so exists or / ...'
> There's no vm-display-x11.so in the folder from the installation, but there is a so.vm-display... so copying this to have the '.so' at the end... Get the same error. I'm almost giving up.

Well, you're almost there ;)

You need either the tar.gz or the .sh, not both. After extracting, you can either install it, or run directly from where you installed it.

The libGLU error you are getting now indicates the VM loads successfully. But the vm-display-x11 is linked to OpenGL. The XO has no OpenGL libraries installed. So what you need to do is copy the system's so.vm-display-x11 (from /usr/lib/squeak) to your new VM directory, overwriting the current version. Then everything should be fine. The system version was compiled without OpenGL support.

- Bert -