[squeak-dev] Re: Closure VM on XO

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 16:20:28 UTC 2011

Hi Bert,

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 6:40 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:

> On 03.03.2011, at 18:31, Juan Vuletich wrote:
>
> > Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory / could not find
> display driver vm-display-x11; wither: / -check that
> /udr/local/lib/squeak/4.4.7-2357/vm-display-x11.so exists or / ...'
> there is a so.vm-display... so copying this to have the '.so' at the end...
> Get the same error. I'm almost giving up.
> >>>

> >> Well, you're almost there ;)
> >>
> >> You need either the tar.gz or the .sh, not both. After extracting, you
> can either install it, or run directly from where you installed it.
> >>
> >> The libGLU error you are getting now indicates the VM loads
> successfully. But the vm-display-x11 is linked to OpenGL. The XO has no
> OpenGL libraries installed. So what you need to do is copy the system's
> so.vm-display-x11 (from /usr/lib/squeak) to your new VM directory,
> overwriting the current version. Then everything should be fine. The system
> version was compiled without OpenGL support.
> >>
> >> - Bert -

Does the XO Geode support sse2?  Actually, what is the exact processor in
the X0?  Right now the JIT won't use sse2 instructions if they aren;t
available, which translates into no machine code floatng-point primitives.
 But I'm also using sse2 instructions to update the 64-bit microsecond
clock, so without some rewrite teh current linux Cog does depend on sse2.

best
Eliot