[squeak-dev] sustainable Monticello

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Tue Mar 8 22:18:33 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> This will probably be a long post, but I would like to tell you about
> the Monticello upgrades I'm about to move to the trunk.

[snip details]

> I think SqueakSource will eventually have to change to something more
> scalable.  At least now we have have a viable alternative, and with
> much cleaner MC code in the process.
>
> Please load my latest versions of Monticello,
> MonticelloConfigurations, Installer and Tests from the Inbox and let
> me know if you experience any issues.  You should not see any
> difference in day-to-day operations.

Hi Chris,

Thanks so much for doing this work. You've fixed a pretty painful
design flaw that we've been working around for years. Originally, the
repository protocol was very, very simple. It was based entirely on
VersionInfo and we expected that repositories would use the UUIDs they
contain to store versions. (You'd basically just need #storeVersion
and #versionWithInfo:ifAbsent:). We then found that naming mcz files
with the version name instead of the UUID made it very easy manage
repositories using the OS, and so all the cruft involving version
names and custom RepositoryInspectors grew up to make that viable.

I've loaded your work from the Inbox and find that it works well - all
tests are green and poking around with repository inspectors, loading,
saving etc didn't cause any problems. Nice work!

Colin