[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] a tiny bit of lag on squeak.org for good reason

radoslav hodnicak rh at 4096.sk
Fri Mar 18 08:13:50 UTC 2011

Did I miss something? I've been running squeak on freebsd/amd64 for
few years now and I certainly didn't do anything special to build the
VM. The stock unix sources compile and run. Didn't try it with Cog
yet, but is that needed for squeak.org?

Also, doesn't the current machine have disks in raid0? That's the
standard config with hetzner. Hetzner also offers some backup space
(around 100gigs IIRC, which again, should be enough).

Finally, if the Squeak services infrastructure moves to Freebsd I'm
willing to donate time to help out with the setup and running it. I
have a bunch of servers at Hetzner and very positive experience with
them and freebsd - how can linux admins live without jails?

I'd argue for renting another machine from them instead of a VPS - why
pay more for less? The current Hetzner servers (EQ line) start at
quadcore cpu/8gigs of RAM for 49 euro/month. How much would you pay to
get that virtualized? Especially the memory tends to be a problem with
smalltalks and VPSs.

rado