[squeak-dev] PackageInfo breakage (was Re: Ometa status)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Mar 29 17:16:38 UTC 2011

On 29.03.2011, at 18:20, Nikolay Suslov wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On 29.03.2011, at 15:03, Nikolay Suslov wrote:
>>
>> SqueakSource repo's is not really broken, some issues has been appeared with loading OMeta package into the current Squeak 4.2. Manually, first you load OMeta2-Preload-hmm.11.mcz and then you need to merge OMeta2-Postload-hmm.11.mcz (not to load). And this should work.
>

> Did we break Monticello? This used to work fine.
>

> No, seems to be Monticello is Ok.
> The problem begins with "PackageInfo-Base-cmm.50" from the trunk, something wrong with it.
> Roll-backing to "PackageInfo-Base-cmm.49" brings OMeta to load successfully in current Squeak.
>
> Regards,
> Nikolay

Ah. Yes, PackageInfo is quite finicky at times.

After loading OMeta2-Preload, the default PackageOrganizer correctly holds the two special instances for OMeta2-Preload and OMeta2-Preload. Their classes are OM2PreloadPackageInfo and OM2PostPackageInfo, respectively. That's because they register themselves in their class-side initializers.

But "PackageInfo named: 'OMeta2-Preload'" does not answer the registered instance. It creates a generic "OMeta2" PackageInfo instance instead, and answers that.

Seems like the change to #named: did the opposite of what it was supposed to do in this case ... at least the old registration scheme seems to be at odds with the new class-side packageName method.

Reverting #named: to Avi's old version makes the OMeta package infos work correctly. Maybe we should get rid of the automagic registration again? Chris?

- Bert -