[squeak-dev] SimpleMorphic Editors

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Mar 31 12:53:25 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 01:10:22PM +0200, Bal?zs K?si wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > - The Editor hierarchy in Cuis has been updated in a very nice way
> > (event dispatch) but there are lots of changes compared with Squeak.
> > Menus are different also. Making SimpleMorphic loadable as a project
> > type makes it easy to compare the two. I renamed some of the event
> > handling methods (e.g. Editor>>backspace: becomes Editor>>backspaceEvent:
> > so the original Editor>>backspace: method remains in place for use
> > by Morphic and MVC).
>
> What do you think about copying Cuis' Editor hierarchy for SimpleMorphic
> instead of adapting the current Editor hierarchy to cope in both environments?

Bal?zs,

That might be a good approach. I am not really sure which is better.
The nice thing about the Project environment in Squeak is that we
can try things like this fairly easily and see which approach we
like better :)

I have to say that I more or less fumbled my way through this so
far, so there is no guarantee that anything I did is the right
approach.

One thing I did learn in this process is that some ToolBuilder
layout support will be needed to get the debugger to open correctly
(note the missing buttons). I have a suspicion that this is the
exactly same problem that is affecting MVC (try a self halt in
an MVC project and you will see the same thing). So I hope that
once we figure out how to make a debugger open properly in a
SMxMorphicProject, we will be able to apply a similar fix to MVC.

Dave