[squeak-dev] 16-bit Color black isn't

Jim Rosenberg jr at amanue.com
Mon May 2 01:04:24 UTC 2011

Am still back at Squeak 3.8; apologies if this has been fixed in more
recent versions.

I've suddenly run into a really vexing problem in which the usual 100%
bit-compatible behavior of Squeak is not quite there. I'm just about
finished with evacuating Apple and moving my life to Linux. My desktop
machine is Slackware 12.2, KDE 3.5. Everything works fine. My new laptop
has a Radeon video driver, runs Slackware 13.1, KDE 4. I'd noticed some odd
effects on the laptop in terms of some things showing up strange shades of
gray when I expected them to be black. Now it seems I can figure out
approximately when this happens: 16-bit forms. My 16-bit forms are showing
on my 32-bit color on the laptop as if they were 32-bit forms with 16 bits
of precision, or something of that kind; I'm certainly *not* getting 16-bit
black showing up on the display as 32-bit black. When I pop on an SVG
monitor to the laptop, the color anomaly occurs there too.

Is there a preference I can set to fix this? This problem is going to
really hurt if I want to present from my laptop.

-Thanks, Jim