[squeak-dev] scripting SqueakMap now?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at angband.za.org
Sun May 8 18:38:02 UTC 2011

On 2011/05/08 19:00, Ken G. Brown wrote:
> At 12:35 PM -0400 5/8/11, Chris Cunnington apparently wrote:
>>> Installer is a prime example of a potentially community maintained external package.
>>
>> OK. That's an interesting idea. I won't argue that. I will argue that in the main Installer works. The functions you've found errors for don't work, but I don't think they are used much. A good example of this is FTP support in FileList. Totally broken. But nobody seems to miss it. Some things are higher priority than others.
>>
>>> Trunk started out with an old version of Installer for no good reason and has diverged since then.
>>
>> There are lots of things that happen around here for no good reason. It's not a conspiracy just a community.
>>
>>> A merge of Trunk Installer with the one on squeaksource is needed to bring Trunk to the latest. A bit of work is needed to bring Trunk up to the latest state and to get the tests working.
>>
>> Great. That sounds like a plan. Would you like to be the maintainer for Installer?
>>
>> Chris
>
> Well, I am not a community.
>
> However since I wrote the email, I have just had a look comparing the Installer in Sq 4.3 vs the version of Installer from squeaksource that I was able to Install/merge into 4.2, and a lot of Installer functionality has been summarily turfed lately.
> I previously went through the process of trying to bring everything from Installer on squeaksource into 4.2 that I thought was later versions but I didn't really have a good understanding of whether or not I had broken anything. However, I did test the merged Installer by using it for various installs and it seemed to work. I wanted to get the Installer Tests working in order to give an indication of the merged Installer well being, but I ran into roadblocks that I did not get time to resolve. If someone knowledgeable with SUnit could get the tests working, that would be great. I think the Installer Tests require the enhanced SUnit from http://www.squeaksource.com/Testing.html. SUnit is another potential for a community supported external package. It too has diverged significantly from where it could have been.
> I kept the merged Installer for 4.2 in a local repo on my hard drive and I am able to load it into 4.3 now by resurrecting MCFileBasedRepository>>versionFromFileNamed: which was also deleted.
>
> Loading my local Installer brings back everything that has recently been turfed and would allow the possibility to bring back Sake and Bob the Builder for example and work with them.
> The version of Installer on squeaksource was set up for automated builds, logging, etc.

I see Testing refers to SSpec. I too would _love_ to see SSpec
(http://www.squeaksource.com/SSpec.html) resuscitated. It... well, there
are some things that leave me boggling. You'll see in the commit logs me
hacking around.

I've managed to get most tests working again, by implementing
multiselect lists in ToolBuilder-SUnit. I don't have any tests covering
what I've done or I'd have committed it already, but if someone wants to
look over what I've done, I'm happy to submit it to the Inbox.

frank