Namespaces (was Re: [squeak-dev] re: Modularity)

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Mon May 9 21:40:42 UTC 2011

On 05/08/2011 11:45 PM, Casey Ransberger wrote:
> Hey Craig,
>
> Sounds really interesting. FWIW I like "named" namespaces because they
> make searching a codebase for dependencies easier. At the end of the
> day, one ends up with far less namespaces than one has classes, and in
> my own experience, that's a lot more manageable than what we have now.
>
> That said, I'll try anything once. I've seen a *wealth* of *great* ideas
> about how to do namespaces in Squeak... but I've only seen one working
> implementation, which is at present irksomely dependent on OmniBrowser

Well, then you haven't seen mine that was implemented way back in... 2004:

	http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/namespaces

...and I presume you didn't search SM for "Namespaces" or google it?

Read more here:

	http://swiki.krampe.se/gohu/27

...especially the "Prefixes Improved" article.

regards, Göran

PS. IMHO my solution is still really elegant compared to other proposals
I have seen. And with a bit more work it could easily do thing like
remappings of Namespaces etc - although since it is based on static
bindings (just like now) that would require "recompilation" but that
doesn't feel like such a big deal given those usecases.