[squeak-dev] Some question regarding portability

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Wed May 11 22:07:01 UTC 2011

On Tue, 10 May 2011, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> On 10 May 2011, at 11:48, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 10 May 2011, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I would like to improve the portability of Zinc HTTP Components ( http://zn.stfx.eu ) to Squeak. During the development of Zn I have regulary tested on Squeak (currently 4.2 #10977), and most of the code works unmodified. Recently, I had another look, and I would like to fix some issues, if possible.
>>>
>>> - Are announcements available ? Can this framework be loaded ? What is the official way to do this ?
>>
>> There are at least four different implementations of the announcements framework. They are not (fully) compatible with each other. The question is: which one is required by Zinc?
>
> I am not aware of that many versions.

IIRC the first implementation was done for OB - it was really simple, it
contained only what OB needed. Then Lukas wrote his own based on the OB
version. Soon after that Balázs Kósi and I extracted our implementation
from our ajax based web framework (that's where the AX prefix is coming
from). Recently Pharo developers started a new implementation based on
Lukas' version which was already part of Pharo.

> I subclass Announcement, instanciate an Announcer, send #announce: and #on:send:do to it, that's all.

I guess those will work with the simplest announcements implementations.

> Would Announcements from http://www.squeaksource.com/AXAnnouncements do ? What is the AX variant by the way ? This repository has not seen many recent updates, I assume it still works for Squeal 4.2.

The AXAnnouncements repo is not frequently updated, because the framework
reached a stable state, the same will happen to Zinc soon ;). If you've
found a bug or need new features, let us know. The repository used to be
writeable, but it's read only now, probably because of incomplete
restoration of SqueakSource after crashes. Of course a world writable repo
doesn't mean that we don't review code and remove broken versions from it.

>>> - How does one do MD5 hashing in Squeak ? We used to fall back to either CMD5Hasher or TCryptoRandom, but none are in the standard image. What has to be loaded to make this work (again) ?
>>
>> The MD5 class is in the Cryptography package.
>
> I guess you mean the main Cryptograhy package from http://www.squeaksource.com/Cryptography, I can't seem to find any loading instructions. I will try.

It's a simple all-in-one mcz from the old days.

Levente

snip