[squeak-dev] When to fix a socket error message

Gary Dunn garydunnhi at gmail.com
Mon May 16 10:17:29 UTC 2011

While investigating a bug in Nebrask's telemorphic feature I noticed
that an attempt to connect to an unavailable computer raised a
standard looking stack trace type error, like a MNU only it was not a
message not understood. I think the response should be more user
friendly so I added a class method named signal: to class
ConnectionTimedOut

signal: aString
	"inform user a network socket failed to open"

	^UserDialogBoxMorph inform: aString  title: 'Connection Timed Out'

This does not solve the larger problem but it does provide a
friendlier response. I was wondering if this was left out to make
Squeak more portable, with the understanding that users would develop
their own code as I did, or is the solution I have a general solution?
The assumption that an IP address is always available is certainly
invalid.

Next thing to solve: this connection attempt is not canceled even
though the timeout was encountered.

--
Gary Dunn
Honolulu