[squeak-dev] When to fix a socket error message

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Mon May 16 14:36:39 UTC 2011

When an error occurs, I like to have information.  Error messages in
other systems usually don't provide that; for example, a simple
user-dialog which says, "Error" or "Connection Timed Out" but not
telling me whether that was during the connection, the handshake, or
transmitting data.  You're just plain stuck.

The Squeak system can and does better.  The debugger can report all of
the information relevant to the error.  Or, if I don't want to know, I
can just close it.  It is the "ultimate" error message in terms of
friendliness.

Is it the stack-trace itself in the introductory debugger that makes
it unfriendly?  Perhaps if that were removed you would like it better.

 - Chris