Updating our website (was: Re: [squeak-dev] Re: www.squeak.org has yet to refer to the 4.2 release)

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Mon May 16 23:03:02 UTC 2011

On Mon, 16 May 2011, Chris Cunnington wrote:

>>  Some parts are fixed, others are not.
>
> Perhaps.
>
> Levente's ideas:
>
> 1. The sources file for Squeak 4.1+ is still missing.
> 2. "Basic Squeak Release" sounds like there are other releases of 4.2, but
> AFAIK there was none.
> 3. The pre-configured images are for older  version of Squeak (3.10, 4.1),
> just like the Squeak CD and DVD (3.9).
> 4. The errata link points to the known issues of Squeak 3.7 and 3.8.
> 5. I think we should have direct link to the newest VMs. Why? If a newcomer
> wants to try Cog and visits squeakvm.org,
> s/he will think that it's still experimental or not available for Squeak
> (Unofficial and experimental "Cog" virtual machines).
> Since Pharo has an officia release with Cog, s/he will think that Squeak is
> not maintained or at least it doesn't work with Cog.
>
> Levente, of all the webmasters for the site, none of them are named
> "Somebody". I'm clearly not the only one who has been
> ignoring your rather high handed posts. And now that I'm doing something
> about it, you're flaming me for not having done enough.

I didn't mean to flame anyone (especially you, who more than a year
after my first request did something about the download page). I didn't
think that my mail can be interpreted as high handed, but that's probably
because english is not my native language. For the very same reason I'm
still wondering what you meant by your first sentence in this paragraph.

> I just realized the problem. You don't think webmasters should be allowed to
> reject any of your ideas. I'll

You're totally wrong.

> review your ideas, but I may reject them. If you don't think the webmaster

If you don't like my ideas, let me know. If you just ignore them, then
I'll think that there's no interest in improving the website.

Levente