[squeak-dev] Max source method length? Max string length? Max change set size?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed May 18 02:58:28 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 10:42:14PM -0400, Tony Garnock-Jones wrote:
> On 2011-05-17 10:04 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> >I hope the 32K limit for method source is still in place.  It's sad to
> >think anyone would ever want to go beyond that.
>
> Humans might balk at writing such long methods, but compilers frequently
> find themselves in a position where writing very long methods can make a
> lot of sense.

Indeed, although 32K of generated Smalltalk source still sounds somewhat
horrible under any circumstances. But out of curiosity, is there actually
a 32K limit on this? I know there is a limit on number of method temps,
but I cannot think why there would be a limit on the length of the source
string.

There once was a 32M limit on sources and changes files, but that was
eliminated long ago (see ExpandedSourceFileArrayTest class comment).

Dave