[squeak-dev] Re: Zodiac - 1st delivery - A new (binary) socket stream

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed May 18 06:01:37 UTC 2011

On 5/17/2011 22:24, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to announce Zodiac, the project created in response to
>
> 	http://forum.world.st/WebClient-for-1-2-2-tt3485946.html#a3503921
>
> according to the plan described in
>
> 	http://forum.world.st/SSL-HTTPS-SecureSocketStream-SSLSession-for-Pharo-Squeak-and-other-Smalltalk-implementations-tc3517404.html#a3517719

Some comments:

 > BTW, It will be (very) hard to get Pharo+WebClient+SSL+MacOSX working.

Not really. I just don't have a Mac, so all my Mac work is done in the
few hours that I actually have access to one. The stuff that's missing
in the Mac version of SqueakSSL isn't hard given a couple of days and a
Mac and WebClient ran fine on Pharo last time I tried it.

> - why was it [Cryptography] not used for SqueakSSL ?

Because the stated goal of SqueakSSL is to use the native platform
bindings for SSL on each platform. For reasons of a) performance, b)
upgradability, c) compliance, and d) size of implementation.

FWIW, I'm not sure I follow your reasoning regarding Zodiac. As it
stands, there are two working implementation of SSL: SqueakSSL and
Cryptography. You could just use one of the two and contribute to either
development if there are things you don't like about them.

Cheers,
   - Andreas