[squeak-dev] [BUG] [] storeString goes into a tight infinite loop on a cog vm.

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sun May 29 23:01:40 UTC 2011

Hi all,

This is a two part question.

First is this still a bad bug in cog?

I am using a March version of cog (3.9-7 ?). I have tried printing

[] storeString

in Sq11453 running on cog397 and on an earlier cog.

The program goes into a tight infinite loop. It will not respond to a user interrupt and AFAICT the only way out is to kill the  cog vm from the system console. I originally found it on an older vm before trying to update to the latest one I have downloaded.

Second question is what was I really trying to say?

I am collecting time to runs for a bunch of blocks. What I wanted to do was to print each block next to its run time. I.E. from a block get a string which if evaluated would be equivalent to the block. I thought that was what store string was for. But for block it doesn't work. It didn't work in 3.9 though there you could at least interrupt the attempt.
printString is no help since it just tells me I have a closure. What particular closure remains a mystery.

It seems to me that in many cases storeString fails to do its stated function.

Anyway is there a known way to get from the block to a readable description of it?