[squeak-dev] Fwd: [Pharo-project] usability of Pharo and Squeak

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Tue May 31 08:33:46 UTC 2011

On 31 May 2011 09:29, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 May 2011, Frank Shearar wrote:
>
>> Indeed, I'm starting to think that tiling window managers are the only
>> actual window managers (as in, if you have to move your windows
>> around, _you're_ the window manager). A colleague pointed out, when I
>> questioned his rabid love of tiling, that I've constructed my workflow
>> in such a way as to turn my non-tiling WM into one, effectively.
>>
>> Maybe there's a way of easily leveraging Laurent Laffont's new TVM? -
>> http://magaloma.blogspot.com/2011/05/tiling-window-manager.html
>
> It's not a window manager at all, just a button, that tries to lay out
> windows as equally sized tiles when you press it. While it's a good start,
> it's far from a real tiling window manager IMHO.

Maybe so (I admit I only watched half the demo before Real Life
interrupted me), but it's one more ping indicating something
potentially worth doing: I'm feeling the lack of a TVM, Andreas W is,
Laurent is, ...

Anyway, it's the sort've project that'll take up quite some time. I
also certainly don't think we should put a TVM into trunk... but it
may be a good idea to put _hooks_ into trunk such that someone can
easily load up their own WM, tiling or otherwise.

frank