[squeak-dev] smalltalk evolution

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue May 31 15:04:26 UTC 2011

2011/5/31 info at tomsik.cz <info at tomsik.cz>:
> It's not my idea, it was just interesting and I'd be glad to
> see some evolution (even pink plane) of squeak. I do not
> propose anything - but array literals just stink, they're
> another concept, which IMHO could be implemented in the very
> same way as control operators were.
>
> My question was not about array literals, it was about
> evolution of squeak - if something like this is at least planned?

Right question contains half of the answer.
If you ask about language/system evolution in general, i think
you will get more extended answers.
Because array literals is really too little detail to care of.
One way or another, but you still need to provide a way how to
efficiently represent array literals in code.
And i don't see anything which could be so much powerful comparing to
existing syntax.
Some other languages have syntax constructs even for more complex
stuff: hash tables aka dictionaries.
Yes, syntax maybe ugly and looking weird, but nevertheless, it serves
its purpose: it provides a way to represent a hash table in source
code.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.