[squeak-dev] Fwd: [Pharo-project] usability of Pharo and Squeak

radoslav hodnicak rh at 4096.sk
Tue May 31 16:09:44 UTC 2011

Personally I'm pretty comfortable and productive with the current
setup and the myriad of windows I can open. I like that. I change the
colors of windows and titles to help me navigate and find stuff
quickly. Tabs would introduce a new constraint of the same level we
already have in Squeak - namely the lack of separate system windows
(but it's quite easy to work around that one by switching Squeak to
full screen mode). Compare the informational value of a window color +
window title + window position (old code left top browser, new code
right bottom browser etc) with the 5 characters of text you usually
get to see on a tab title once you open enough of them. I routinely
work with tabbed text editors for non-smalltalk stuff and once you get
past 5-10 open tabs, it's rather awful.

I can see how people coming from java or something might prefer tabs,
at the same time there much worse GUI problems we should fix first -
like the freaking context menus being dragged around after you open it
and click if you don't move your mouse to hover around a menu entry
(why anyone thought dragging a context menu by anything other than the
menu bar might be a good idea is beyond me)

rado