[squeak-dev] Fwd: [Pharo-project] usability of Pharo and Squeak

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Tue May 31 19:17:01 UTC 2011

On 05/31/2011 11:47 AM, radoslav hodnicak wrote:
> I've worked in VisualWorks for years and routinely had 15+ windows
> open (my taskbar is on the left and on autohide, I can pack a lot of
> open windows before I lose overview).

I'd love to see a screenshot of 15+ windows in any useful configuration
on a normal sized monitor.  I don't think it's possible.

> I've also worked in C/PHP/etc
> for years and routinely had 15+ tabs open in some IDE. I vastly prefer
> the first alternative, although that might be colored by the fact that
> Smalltalk IDEs are more helpful than text-ish ones. I don't know why
> you call that Stockholm syndrome, it's not like I only work in
> Smalltalk (I wish!).

It was humor.  I'm just pointing out that perhaps you should reflect and
see if it's just that you're used to it.  As I said, I'm very productive
in Pharo with bunch of windows open as well, but it's in spite of them,
not because of them.  I'd much rather have one browser and a bunch of
tabs, so I don't have to hunt for workspaces and transcript windows
because so many browsers are open.

When I use any other program on windows/linux, I'm never forced to open
15 instances of the same program, this is just another case of Smalltalk
ignoring how the rest of the world works.  It's being different for no
benefit.

> Web browsing is different, the tabs there usually aren't related to
> each otherso the comparison to programming IDEs doesn't apply.

Speak for yourself, mine most certainly are in exactly the same way IDE
windows are.

--
Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com