[squeak-dev] Fwd: [Pharo-project] usability of Pharo and Squeak

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Tue May 31 21:36:47 UTC 2011

Janko wrote:
> Agreed, tabs won, therefore we need to implement it and this will be a
> big step forward for usability of our tools. Not only for newcomers, for
> us too. You will see sooner or later that tabbed windows are better than
> full ones. I had such experience from VW and other VisualWorkers would
> probably confirm that.

Note that the IRC client in Squeak already has tabbed windows, so the
needed code is available (I haven't looked at it and would not be
shocked if people prefer to build their own rather than reuse it).

My experience with tiled and tabbed GUIs is mostly with Xilinx and
Altera FPGA tools and their Eclipse based processor development kits.
Obviously lots of people like this or it would have been designed
differently. But I am not a big fan. Not that I am happy with what we
have in Squeak now, though I prefer it. My ideal would be a zooming
interface instead.

-- Jecel