[squeak-dev] Fwd: [Pharo-project] usability of Pharo and Squeak

Darius Clarke socinian at gmail.com
Tue May 31 22:22:08 UTC 2011

> differently. But I am not a big fan. Not that I am happy with what we
> have in Squeak now, though I prefer it. My ideal would be a zooming
> interface instead.
>
> -- Jecel

I like Jef Raskin's idea of something like a linear zooming interface (most
non-programmers think linearly) per "The Humane Interface".
Imagine something like a whole website or application (or OS) "folded" into,
or represented in, an accordion menu, with a fast keyboard short cut for
searching "above" where you're at or "below" where you're at. Something a
bit like eMacs but more graphical (eMacs content with CSS?). No documents,
no pages, no slides, no "beginning" or "ending", just above or below, folded
or unfolded,  + context. Folded visual content doesn't have to appear like a
bar with a phrase. It could be a button bar, or just a single word or letter
or icon.

A keyboard shortcut brings your "menu bar" or "toolbar" or "navigation bar"
*temporarily to your cursor data entry point,* to keep your locus of
attention from moving too much (because you only have one of those)  ...
rather than leaving what you're doing to go "top of screen" or "bottom of
screen" or "left" or "right", thereby risking losing ones mental context and
focus. Widgets, windows, or other visual artifacts can be placed
side-by-side temporarily for comparison too by a keyboard shortcut or from a
search result. This disciplines one to remember and express "what" one wants
and "why", rather than dedicating brain cycles to figuring out "where" it's
kept.