[squeak-dev] Squeak Oversight Board minutes – 11/15/11

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 15:24:19 UTC 2011

Attending: Chris Muller, Bert Freudenberg, Colin Putney, Randal Schwartz, Levente Uzonyi, Jecel Assumpacao Jr., Chris Cunnington

We used Google Hangout for the first time, so we had a real “face-to-face” meeting. The minutes were taken live with Google Docs in the G+ hangout by several people at once

Randal reported that he’s in the process of surveying the current server situation, and will produce a definitive document about the state of things. (And then he accidentally got himself booted from the chat, so we figured out how to re-add someone who has left.)

Jecel talked about the ongoing research he’s doing about determining the state of the Linux distros with regard to the VM. Still working on it.

Jecel has received an email from Brad of the SFC asking about the situation with Squeak Germany and the payment of the servers. Rita (treasurer of Squeak Germany) is the right person to see about any payments we already owe, while the Squeak Germany Board and Marcus would be the ones to transfer the administration to us so we directly receive future bills to pay directly.

OmniBrowser will not be ready for 4.3; Colin is working on common core with Lucas; expect OB using ToolBuilder fixes

some complaints about ListChooser, which is maybe a year and a half in the image (and appears when searching for a class)

a discussion about notifications and the user interface and how that can make problems (or not) for automating the build of an image

there was a discussion about Preferences and some desire to change the scope of Preferences between 4.3 and 4.4; perhaps get rid of some preferences

have community versus officially supported packages. Community supported would be packages with no given owner or the owner has moved on from the community, while leaving a valuable body of code that should not be allowed to rot away. Official packages would be ones that have passed tests and are assured to work with the latest core image

the feature freeze comes down on the 4.3 release process today.; the code freeze after the next SOB meeting

the SOB was pleased to see the creation of a Squeak G+