[squeak-dev] Small question about ReadOnlyVariableBinding

Ricardo Moran richi.moran at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 20:52:41 UTC 2011

Hi guys,

I have just a small question: how dangerous would it be if I change a
system dictionary association (such as #SerialPort) to be a read-write
binding?

I want to be able to provide a different abstraction for SerialPort than
the one squeak provides, but I don't want to change all the code that uses
it. So I though a quick and dirty way to do it would be to replace it in
the SystemDictionary, like this:

Smalltalk at: #SqueakSerialPort put: SerialPort.
> (Smalltalk associationOrUndeclaredAt: #SerialPort) beReadWriteBinding.
> Smalltalk at: #SerialPort put: MySerialPort

Apart from being an ugly hack, do you think that could be dangerous in some
way?

Thanks in advance,
Richo