[squeak-dev] [ANN] First try: Fuel for Squeak

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Nov 27 19:46:39 UTC 2011

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 03:34:27PM -0300, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> > Hi Mariano,
> >
> > I loaded Fuel into my working Squeak image, which is an older image kept up
> > to date with trunk via the update stream (i.e. it is "bleeding edge" with
> > various additional packages loaded).
> >

> Excellent :)
> Where can I get a "bleeding edge" Squeak image?

The most recent update on the ftp server is
<ftp://ftp.squeak.org/4.3alpha/Squeak4.3gamma-11793.zip>

Run that image, then from the world menu (left click anywhere), select
help... -> update code from server

When the update is complete, you have a fully updated image.

> > I had to implement SystemVersion>>major and SystemVersion>>minor to
> > complete
> > the installation (these are Pharo idioms, so I just implemented them to
> > answer 0 on Squeak).
> >

> To complete the instalation??  Can you remember why (the sender) it is
> needing #mayor and #minor?
> As far as I remember, it is only used by Fuel in FLBasicSerializationTest
> >> expectedFailures
> but that is not the installation, but running tests.

I'm not sure, but for whatever reason it popped up as an error while
I was installing.

> > I did not encounter the timeout problem, but if you have a long running
> > test, just add a pragma like <timeout: 30> to set the timeout to 30
> > seconds.
> > This will increase the timeout when running on Squeak, and should not
> > affect Pharo.
> >

> Thanks, I didn't know. Is there a way to run the tests in the test runner
> so that it doesn't take into account such timeouts?
> or can I change the global preference?  I ask so that to avoid changing
> tests code (even if they would work for Pharo).

I don't think that there is a preference for this. It's probably best
to just provide the pragma for the specific tests, since this will not
affect the tests themselves.

> Thanks for the detailed answer. From what I can see, even if those tests
> are wrong, "most cases" should work fine.

Yes, it is working fine for me. I just changed RemoteTask to make use of
Fuel for serializing objects between images, and it seems to work very well.

Dave