[squeak-dev] Balloon3D: not loading in trunk

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto casimiro.barreto at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 18:48:42 UTC 2011

Problem with Balloon3D and some other obsolete packages is that compiler
is not supporting things like # anymore. I guess that downloading VRML
and editing #. to #'.' and then loading from local cache would "do the
magic".

Other way is to getting a clean and old image (10996 used to work) and
then load Balloon3D via Monticello browser prior to updating image.

Anyways, as many noted before, Balloon3D is not supported anymore. But
there are similar problems while trying to load Tweak (compiler
complaining about #. and other "forbidden symbols"). So, one thing that
can be done is to load OpenCobalt "customise it" to your development
needs. Problem is: everything works like PSP firmware: you update it
with "non official" stuff (like update from trunk) and things start to
fall apart.

I guess it's a problem of not having "core classes" that are orthogonal
and not supposed to be directly changed (I just can't understand this
flaw, since the right stuff would be having a set of core classes and
when changes are needed just subclass and do what's needed in the
subclasses).

Best regards,

CdAB