[squeak-dev] Squeak Oversight Board minutes – 10/04/11

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 14:39:37 UTC 2011

Attending: Bert Freudenberg, Colin Putney, Levente Uzonyi, Jecel
Assumpacao Jr., Chris Cunnington

    * Some ideas about the coming 4.3 release were explored: it’s a
      maintenance release

    * It was suggested that as part of the 4.3 release a communications
      effort, a clear message, needs to be performed about the future
      goals of the Squeak image.

    * It is currently 16M. If you execute “Smalltalk
      unloadAllKnownPackages” it will take fifteen seconds and become 9.8M

    * A reasonable target for a core image is 5M, so a drop of 4.8M from
      the current image  (at 9.8 M) is a task before the community

    * A place to explore where to make reductions is likely the
      removal/replacement of GUIs

    *   Once we have a smaller core image, we can enact the memo Andreas
      wrote on how to load code back into the smaller image. This will
      be based on tests which will clearly delineate the
      responsibilities of core developers and application developers