Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak Oversight Board minutes – 10/18/11

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 14:56:37 UTC 2011

As I understand it, we don't have the same kind of present and immediate
control over distribution of the vm and the image, as we do with Mac and
PC. I think with Linux it's more likely you'll download the image and vm
separately, from different sources. Say you get your vm from apt-get,
rpm, or yum. And then we release a new image. Maybe people will just see
everything fail. The Cog vm is a big jump. You use it, and you can't
readily go back to the interpreter. Jecel is going to look at what vms
Linux users are using. Are they still 3.x vms? That sort of thing. The
mechanism for Linux users to get what we make is a little different. But
since you clearly are in the loop, I don't think any of this kind of
delay would apply to you. I'd say its more a communications thing than a
technical challenge.

Chris