Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak Oversight Board minutes – 10/18/11

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 21:27:25 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto <
casimiro.barreto at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Em 19-10-2011 11:21, Chris Cunnington escreveu:
>
>  Attending: Chris Muller, Bert Freudenberg, Colin Putney, Randal Schwartz,
> Levente Uzonyi, Jecel Assumpacao Jr., Chris Cunnington
>
>  Notes on the 4.3 release:
>
> - this won’t be the Cog release because of the needs of Linux which might
> not be aware of a sudden change
>
> Cog in (Fedora 14/15) Linux still have some problems:

You need to be more specific.  Which Cog?  Mine or Igor's?

> a) Keyboard input differs from "traditional VM" and makes it almost
> impossible to enter accented characters
>     like áéíóúãõâêô etc...
> b) FFI is not completely compatible with "traditional VM" and certain
> things like CroquetGL just won't work like
>     they do with "traditional VM"
> c) Compiler recompileAll crashes CogVM

Not so.  My VMs on linux haven't been crashing in recompileAll for several
months now.  So which specific Cog?  All the version info is in recent VMs:

Smalltalk getSystemAttribute: 1009 'r2502
http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog'

--
best,
Eliot