Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak Oversight Board minutes – 10/18/11

Gary Dunn garydunnhi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 00:17:37 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 4:53 AM, Randal L. Schwartz
<merlyn at stonehenge.com> wrote:

>>> - Jecel is going to look at Linux distros and the vms they use
>
> Derek> What's wrong with Linux? Squeak 4.2 + CogVM running fine here on
> Derek> Ubuntu 9.10
>
> The problem we discussed is that the packages with most linux
> distributions are *not* the CogVM yet (rightfully so).  So we are trying
> to address the issue of "get vm from packages, get image from
> squeak.org".
>
> If that's a smaller issue than we should worry about... as in, everyone
> who would be downloading 4.3 is smart enough to also pick up the CogVM
> as well, then maybe we can just blast forward.  Thoughts?

If we choose to not include cog then we should either include a
modest, useful image that explains how to get more packages, what cog
is and how to get it, OR we should include a text file that explains
how to get an image, additional packages,and what cog is and how to
get it.

If we assume that everyone ... is smart enough we may end up losing a
lot of new folks.

--
Gary Dunn
Honolulu