[squeak-dev] strange bug in squeak 4.2 & 4.3 alpha running Cog, MTCog and regular VMs on a Mac

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Tue Sep 6 02:44:51 UTC 2011

When I run the following code, I start to get  MNU:
UndefinedObject>>containsPoint   errors.

http://pastebin.com/TTDmSnZS

The errors show up with Intel Macs running Mac OS X 19.6.8 using  Squeak
4.2 all-in-one, Cog with Squeak4.2-10966 and CogMT2489 and Cog2489 with
both Squeak 4.3alpha-11314 and Squeak4.3alpha11636.

In order to get the errors open Squeak, open a workspace and transcript
and paste teh above code into the workspace. Select the part above the
"++++++++...+++++++" and do-it

then select the part within  the two comments (myGrid delete. Smalltalk
garbageCollect) and do-it.

then iterate manually with i = 2 through 10 and evaluate the lower half
of the code (below the comments)

Eventually you get one or more MNU: UndefinedObject>>containsPoint  errors

When I do THIS code: http://pastebin.com/Mp0aZLUj

the errors seem to go away, but the overhead of the 1000+ GC calls is
way too much.

Suggestions? I was testing to see if I could prototype a 2D shooter in
Squeak using morphs for the bitmaps when the bug showed up.

Thanks.

Lawson