[squeak-dev] strange bug in squeak 4.2 & 4.3 alpha running Cog, MTCog and regular VMs on a Mac

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Sep 7 14:19:32 UTC 2011

On 07.09.2011, at 04:42, Chris Muller wrote:

>> For prototyping in a workspace, do not fork, but insert a "World doOneCycleNow" in the loop. This should never be used in production code. Here is what this would look like with
>
> Thanks for sharing your Morphic wisdom.  May I ask for your thoughts
> on WorldState class>>#addDeferredUIMessage: for background Morphic
> operations..?

That's the official way to communicate with Morphic from a different process, yes. The block argument will be evaluated within the Morphic process on the next world cycle, so this is safe.

However, this is not how you would typically do animation in Morphic (in contrast to some other UI frameworks that use timer threads for that). For animation you would override the step method.

- Bert -