[squeak-dev] Wireless/mobile apps was: Fork Proposal: Cuis & Killer Apps.

Dimitry Golubovsky golubovsky at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 10:29:15 UTC 2011

Hi,

As the "search for a killer app" is going on, what does the Smalltalk
community think about possible uses of Squeak/Pharo on mobile devices
- phones and tablets? Now that the Android version of Cog is available
(though labeled alpha, I  do not expect adding much to the VM core,
just some facilities to interact with Android via JNI, before it
becomes beta), are there ideas what existing aplications could be used
such way? I think a "selling point" here might be that applications
run uniformly on a PC and on a phone/tablet, may have similar or same
look&feel in both desktop and mobile environment, etc.?

I have an application I am working on (which was mainly the reason I
am working on the Android port), but it has rather narrowly
specialized use and is written mostly for myself. I'd like to hear any
ideas of possible mobile uses of Smalltalk.

Thanks.

PS Among other things, developer's experience with mobile Smalltalk
must be good (judging by my own impressions of course): you have a
convenience to develop/debug your application on a desktop, set window
size to the target device resolution to emulate smaller screen, then
transfer the image to a tablet/phone, and having the application
running 99% same way as on a desktop. And the development environment
with debugger is still available (unless deliberately stripped off).

--
Dimitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web