[squeak-dev] MethodWrappers for Squeak 4.2

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 05:11:50 UTC 2011

EM: " When I looked at MicroSqueak one thing I couldn't come up with a
good answer for was how to deal with nil, true and false while
simulating MicroSqueak code in the image. One could e.g. modify the
compiler to generate references to the MicroSqueak nil, true and false
but then conditional branch opcodes can't be used, so one would e.g.
have to simulate the bytecode. That shouldn't be too much of a problem
because there shouldn't be that much code to execute. But if e.g.
*method wrappers* could be used that would be nicer."

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2010-December/006093.html

nil, true, and false are pseudo variables. They are also represented as classes by UndefinedObject, True, and False. These classes are
singletons, so I guess they are also the first three special objects in the special objects array. I don't see any methods to wrap or how.
Are there CompiledMethods of nil, true, and false somewhere to subclass and thereby wrap?

I'm assuming  http://www.squeaksource.com/MethodWrappers  <http://www.squeaksource.com/MethodWrappers.>  can be used to solve the problem that makes MicroSqueak not work on Cog, which
seems to be about using method wrappers on the first the special objects.

Have I confused two different problems?

Chris