[squeak-dev] Re: Developing on virtualized Android

Dimitry Golubovsky golubovsky at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 03:28:54 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Torsten Bergmann <astares at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Dimitry,
>
> did you try Pharo/Squeak for android on Android x86 and virtualbox (without a device)
>
> http://androidspin.com/2011/01/24/howto-install-android-x86-2-2-in-virtualbox
>
> Is there a short howto? Would be nice for people to play with
> it even without an android device...

Now I found some time to investigate this, and got some success.

I was able to run the following application:

http://squeakvm-tablet.googlecode.com/files/CogDroid86-alpha-20110928.apk

under this version of Android-x86:

http://android-x86.googlecode.com/files/android-x86-2.3-RC1-eeepc.iso

(or check their downloads page:
http://code.google.com/p/android-x86/downloads/list - each
netbook-specific ISO has its own set of drivers, and something may not
be provided by KVM or any other virtualizer).

Do not use the 2.2-generic ISO - it has many problems.

Brief howto for KVM:

1. Create a virtual image for "hard disk" to use with KVM. Boot from
the ISO image. For network adapter, specify "pcnet":

-net nic,model=pcnet

eeepc ISO does not have a driver for say rtl8139

2. After you see that the ISO boots, install on "hard disk". You will
be given an option to create a fake sdcard: say Yes. SD card image
will be allocated within the KVM's "hard disk". Select ext2 or ext3 as
hard disk filesystem.

3. Install grub when asked. Later, if you need to edit grub boot menu, do this:

In KVM, press Alt-LeftArrow to get to the root console. Mount the boot
disk (unlike typical Linux, there is no boot volume mounted
implicitly)

mkdir /data/fs
mount -t ext3 /dev/block/sda1 /data/fs
vi /data/fs/grub/menu.lst
umount /data/fs
reboot

4. Install AndroZip application, otherwise you will not be able to
download zip files

5. Install some file manager (2.3 seems to already have OpenIntents
file manager installed)

6. Download the zipped Squeak image+changes+sources:

http://squeakvm-tablet.googlecode.com/files/sqandr_pres.zip

or whatever other image you would like

Unzip the zipfile (tap on it; it will be unzipped under /mnt/sdcard/AndroZip)

7. Install CogDroid alpha mentioned above. When started, it will
display usual list of images to boot.

I got the following benchmark:

85,906,040 bytecodes/sec, 5,183,202 sends/sec. Emulator's /proc/cpuinfo says

QEMU Virtual CPU version 0.9.1, 1986 MHz, 3973 bogomips.

It runs under physical CPU:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 75
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1999.903
cache size      : 512 KB
bogomips        : 3999.80

8. Note on mouse buttons:

Left click acts as screen tap (long click is long tap, e. g. on home
screen use it to move/delete shortcut icons). CogDroid does not
distinguish between long and short taps.

Right click acts as the "Back" hardware button. So, to "Print-it":
right click, see "Mouse yellow" popup, left click brings up menu,
select Print.

Middle click (press on the scroll wheel) acts as "Menu" button (to
bring on the onscreen keyboard, but you can use the physical one ;)

No way to do the Blue click (I use the "Forward" button on Pandigital,
but it seems not to be typically available). So if you want to try
Pharo, remap mouse buttons if possible.

Hope this information is useful. Adjust to your virtualizer ;)

Thanks.