[squeak-dev] Re: [Vm-dev] new Cog VMs available...

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Fri Sep 30 22:27:44 UTC 2011

At Wed, 28 Sep 2011 13:47:22 -0700,
Eliot Miranda wrote:

> ...at http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2496/.
>
> CogVM binaries as per VMMaker.oscog-eem.128/r2496
> Fix regression in object-as-method/cannot-interpret for single and polymorphic
> inline cache misses (lookup:for:methodAndErrorSelectorInto:).
> Fix formatting bugette in context printing.
>
> This fixes a regression in objects-as-methods which Nicholas was suffering from as a crash during Run Coverage in the Test Runner.

  This probably is not an issue with the latest VM, and I now remember the
discussion related to my question here:

http://forum.world.st/working-directory-under-Mac-OS-X-td3550987.html
http://forum.world.st/Problems-with-Mac-VM-5-7-and-5-8-on-the-command-line-td3526363.html

but I'm not sure the current consensus is and let me ask it in the
context of my problem.

So, the switch apparently happened sometime after 'Croquet Closure Cog
VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.56] Croquet Cog 3.0.0', which I
have been using for a project.  When I try to switch to the latest
version of VM, there are (at least) two things that has changed.

One is that

OSProcess thisOSProcess processAccessor primGetCurrentWorkingDirectory

now returns '/'.  I used to launch an external command by:

PipeableOSProcess command: './demo'.

it stopped working.  Is this just a known issue, and I should just
use longer interface to OSProcess with cwd explicitly specified?

Another is our custom VM plugin (.bundle) file in the same directory
cannot be found anymore.  It works if I copy it into Resources
directory; but it is inconvenient.

What are the suggested solutions for these problems?  Thanks!

-- Yoshiki