[squeak-dev] Pristine recent 4.4 image?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 16:55:13 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 7:14 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3 August 2012 13:00, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
>> On Fri, 3 Aug 2012, Frank Shearar wrote:
>>
>>> This is a bit of a strange request, but anyway. Is there a blessed
>>> trunk image lying around somewhere more recent than #11925? I ask,
>>> because if I take that image (the latest one in
>>> http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/) and try update it, I get an "Error:
>>> Unmatched string quote" while processing update-eem.210.mcm. I vaguely
>>> recall this happened around the last GetText changes?

Yes, I believe that error is related to the GetText package.

>> That must be a bug with that image. I just ran an update from a fresh Squeak
>> 4.3 image and it got updated to the latest version in 2-3 minutes without
>> hiccups.

If that's really true, you should upload THAT exact image to the ftp
server -- because I think our release images should just be updated
code and not a lot of fiddling around in the image, leaving
unintentional accumulated state.  For example, preferable not release
an image in which the tests were run.

Frank, what I tried to do for the 4.2 release was _capture_ the
release process by which the image was generated into a "one click"
(doit) which would do all the final prep things before saving and
exiting the final image which was used for the actual download.  It's
ReleaseBuilderTrunk.  This, of course, was intended to be an evolving
process so feel free to make changes.

> I took the final release, changed its update to trunk, and got a
> syntax error notification saying "Unmatched comment quote" during
> update-b4.204.mcm. Same if I take the image from the all-in-one. I
> don't see why VM version should matter but this is with Cog r2562. Ah.
> No, it was the sources file that was a bit broken. Replacing with the
> all-in-one's sources file I can update.

Oh wow!  Great!  Hmm, I wonder how your sources file got corrupted?
There's no updating of a .sources file except intentionally...