Supported platforms = ? (was Re: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: NetworkTests-ul.32.mcz)

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 14:26:06 UTC 2012

On 14 August 2012 15:05, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 02:17:40PM +0100, Frank Shearar wrote:
>> On 14 August 2012 13:34, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Cog does not provide the new network primitives. You can verify whether
>> > your VM has the primitives by evaluating "NetNameResolver useOldNetwork".
>> >
>> > This may be an issue in Socket class>>remoteSocketAddress that is
>> > exposed when running with the new network support. The test attempts
>> > to do "Socket new peerName" which does not work (but should it???).
>>
>> Right now the CI environment _only_ runs Cog + Linux. At the very
>> least we should test on Windows and OSX too. But the reason for the
>> change in subject is that it sounds like we also need to test several
>> _VMs_ + platform?
>
> In a perfect world we would test the image on a range of operating
> systems and VMs, including out of date VMs, old operating systems,
> old computers, 32-bit and 64-bit VMs, etc, etc. It would be worthwhile
> to test both Cog and SqueakVM on Linux, but extending the range beyond
> that might be a lot of work.

You mean WILL be a lot of work :). Mainly, I'd be happy with a 0
unexpected failures with Cog r2562 + trunk. Seeing as Levente's test
passes on his machine and fails on the build server, I'd like to find
out what's going on, and how to stop the test from failing.

Otherwise, yes, given that the Squeak community highly values
backwards compatibility/legacy support, it would be great if someone
supplied some Jenkins build slaves in various operating systems, OS X
and Windows being top of the list. I'm sure Randal would not mind a
FreeBSD build agent, either!

frank