[squeak-dev] Opengl and Squeak

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Thu Aug 16 19:38:01 UTC 2012

Am 16.08.2012 21:08, schrieb dimitris chloupis:
> Thanks for the replies from both of you.
>
> I am trying to find the laziest route right now. Nativeboost is of course an option, but i would prefer if I remained on Squeak and not having to port on Pharo. Last time I checked the NBOpengl was for Pharo and not available in all OSes.
>
> How exactly and what exactly I will extend. Squeak AFAIK has no opengl support included as libray. At least I cant see one in the system browser and I am aware there is a MorphiGL , Croquet and Open Cobalt but nowhere there is info about which opengl versions are supported. I am also abit nooby with opengl so I am trying to find my barings. any help is appreciated.
The Squeak OpenGL bindings are on squeaksource.com. Here is an older mail exchange describing the installation procedure:
http://forum.world.st/OpenGL-in-4-1-or-later-td3794639.html

I have just tried it in a 4.3 image, and after fixing three small glitches it worked:
- somehow the method OGLUnix>>#openGLLibraryName has an illegal character at the end (it's probably being handled as
whitespace in other Squeak/Pharo images)
- the method Point>>#area does not exist. I implemented it as returning x*y, which works.
- the method printShowingMaxDecimalPlaces: does not exist. I used printString instead.

That should get you started.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin