[squeak-dev] Re: Why FFI is not included with latest squeak ?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Aug 18 22:11:11 UTC 2012

No, Etoys is not the main reason for the Squeak/Pharo split. There are quite a few Pharoers who like Etoys, but pretty much nobody likes its implementation, with the original design barely visible under all the hacks accumulated over the years.

One difference between Pharo and Squeak is that we Squeakers want to make Etoys unloadable but keep it working, whereas in Pharo it was just removed.

One of Pharo's main goals is getting a clean base system quickly, even if that means breaking lots of things that used too work. In Squeak we value backwards compatibility higher, even if that means cleaning the system takes longer.

- Bert -